This is a Scottish traditional recipe that has not been modified from its original version. You will need to substitute for modern ingredients as required.
You will need:
– 1 cup of oatmeal
– 1 teaspoonful of melted fat
– pinch of baking soda
– 1/2 teaspoonful of salt
– hot water
1. Mix dry ingredients and add fat.
2. Add sufficient water to make a moderately stiff dough.
3. Roll out as thin as possible.
4. Bake one side on girdle till corners begin to curl, toast in front of fire or under grill.
5. May also be baked in moderately hot oven. When rolling out use plenty of oatmel and handle quickly.